Wednesday 25 February 2009

"I can't believe today was a Good Day..."


ONE)









I watched all four of the Skins episodes I had missed over the past few weeks....I absolutely HATE watching shows that are 'aimed' at teenagers/20-somethings [ARRGHHHHHH I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW DECREPID I AM...21 yuck!] but I just can't help but watch Skins. I think I know why though....other than Luke Pasqualino's face [Nope, I didn't have to check how to spell his name....yes, I am fan lol] it is because COOK is tooo funny! It was the 'Cook' episode that encouraged me to go forth and fall in love with his foolish antics. I, for one, think his character is so unbelievably real [I mean unbelievable in a sense that Skins is not at all close to reality so Cook is their exception] simply because within the few episodes shown so far, Cook has displayed a set of characteristics and layers that many of us have encountered in irritatingly, immature, lovable lads in real life.

A quick lowdown of the things I love about 'Cook':
  • I love how offended he gets when someone threatens his Cook-ness [Freddie attempting to take one of Cook's conquests, Effy, annoys Cook because he sees himself as the most sexually cultured out of his little gang...and little, it is]....

  • I love his little pseudonyms he randomly makes up for himself and his friends, 'cookie monster'....'gay-jay'....

  • I love how the most simple things bring him joy [much like his DEAD birthday party in the pub ...'Lets go MENTAAALLLLL', Cook yelled as he poured beer over his face to my delight]

  • I love how his character displays a confusion between realising he has a childish tendency of 'over-excitedness' rather than a 'big-man' rebellious nature....like a schoolboy looking up an unaware, girl's skirt or a child in a sweet shop...

  • I love how he loves the company of friends but treats them like crap [not because of the unfairness but because it displays how messed up his idea of 'friendship' is]....

  • I love how the only time I have detected a real sense of Cook loving or respecting someone has been when he becomes defensive about his admiration for that pub dude [is his name Keith??], even though he's slept with the 'beautiful' Effy....

  • I love how Cook's mod-influenced dress sense is so 'put together' to add to his character but doesn't come off as 'try-hard', akin to that blond Naomi chick....

  • I love how he hasn't realised that his cockiness doesn't demonstrate his confidence but makes him the most emotionally, vulnerable out of the Skins pack he seems to have dominion over....

  • I LOVED how the 'Cook' episode ended.....it captured his nonchalance towards the calamity he caused and how able he is to just shrug off detrimental aspects to his life....

  • I love how I can go on and on about him and not get bored because his character is THAT interesting to me....even if some of what I said doesn't make sense - I enjoyed writing it [LOL]. I know this Cook essay is sad but it was either analyse 'how we construct the ideology of families through photographs' or analyse Skins....I chose the latter and fun-ner option....and merely for the LOVE of analysing stuff!

TWO)

I found a song that I have been trying to look for since 2001....I heard it in a club around 2005 and was soooo excited because I knew the DJ would have the artist's details on his vinyl. He told me it was: 'Richard Nixon'.....at the time, I was like 'Gee - thanks!'......that was until it clicked that Nixon was a president.


Me and my scatty self tried to piece together bits of lyrics but all I could remember was the chorus:


"I gotta...get her,

I gotta...get her,

Sumthin-sumthin TIME TONIIIIIGHT,

Sumthin-sumthin RIIIIGHT"


Doesn't look promising does it. That's exactly what I thought. However, in vain, I attempted to search for it again today as the melody popped into my head when I got up this morning.....and by jove - I GOT IT!!!!!


Although it was only a 30 second clip I found, I am ecstatic! The song is not SUPER amazing but I loved it at the time. It is one of many anonymous songs that I never saved onto a cassette [LOL] during my pirate radio station days and it instantly takes me back to my days of endless radio listening in between High school homework. I probably won't tell anyone what it was because I'm very cagey when it comes to music [it is my only selfish quality] LOL!!! In relation to this, I used to listen to Jazmine Sullivan when I started uni - I didn't tell anyone about her because I wanted her to myself HAHA! I also do this secret thing with samples.....I LOVE searching for samples that are chopped, flipped, sped up, interpolated, recreated - you name it......No really you name it, cos I won't haha!!! I'm cagey when it comes to music, in a 'I found him first so go find your own damn man' kinda way.


P.S. Yet again - I didn't have pancakes to celebrate Pancake day!!!! I hate that I missed a day dedicated to all things sweet and yummy! I'ma just make some this weekend haha....


*I am* Hood and Frosties'n'Rice Krispies in a mug

3 comments:

Super Noodle Rach said...

you know Cook is the secret undercover lover! he is cute and in my eyes cuter than that other dude!!

Kara Sudoku-Mishap/Hood and Proper said...

Erm...lets not get excited mate Cook is not better looking than Freddie. Period.

Anonymous said...

Cook annoys me there's nothing cute about him or his character ....sorry kara

I strictly watch skins to perve on Freddie