Thursday 14 January 2010

RIP: Teddy Pendergrass

Sadly, the orignal 'ladies love', Teddy Pendergrass, passed away yesterday at the age of 59. You may not be familiar with the name but you are familiar with his music.
He started out as a drummer in The Cadillacs before he went on to become the lead singer of Harold Melvin and the Bluenotes...here are some examples of his influence...

Harold Melvin and the Bluenotes' 'Is There A Place For Me'...



...was sampled on Usher's 'Take Your Hand' [Produced by Rich Harrison]


Harold Melvin and the Bluenotes' 'I Miss You' [my mum spotted this sample years ago and told me who the group were lol]....


....was sampled on Jay Z's 'This Can't Be Life' [OBVIOUSLY, produced by Kanye West]


Harold Melvin and the Bluenotes 'Wake Up Everybody'....


...was sampled on Jaheim ft Tha Rayne - Fabulous [Produced by Kay Gee, from Naughty By Nature]


Teddy Pendergrass later became famous in his own right with MANY hits like 'Love TKO' which has been used on sooooo many adverts and infomercials I know I have fallen asleep to many of these songs lol....

Teddy Pendergrass' 'Close The Door'....


....was sampled on 3LW's 'Neva Get Enuf' ft Lil Wayne [Produced by Presidential Campaign]


Teddy Pendergrass' 'Loving You Was Good'


....was sampled on Little Brother's 'Starvation' ft Chaundon [Produced by 9th Wonder]


Teddy Pendergrass' 'Come On Over To My Place'...


...was sampled on Nelly's 'My Place' ft Jaheim [Produced by Mo' Beats]


RIP Teddy....my parents loved your music when they were growing up and I enjoyed listening to their musical memories...

*HoodandProper* loves GOOD soul music like good soul food

No comments: