Monday 15 June 2009

The Channel AKA Files: "...While I do my BIZNAAAAAAAAZ...."

[Before I go on - for those who don't know, Channel AKA used to be called Channel U until a few months ago.....it's a music video channel that shows videos from any Tom, Dick or Harry......or in this case any Jerome, Nathan or Leon. Basically, it shows 'Urban' music videos that anyone can send in...literally, ANYONE! This opens the door for raw talent and cringeworthy music videos. All in all, it's jokes !]

....whenever I spell the word 'business' as 'biznaaaaz' I am paying homage to Shimmer, a UK videogirl [she says she's an MC but I beg to differ]. The first time I saw her in the Casso Blax video, 'Hollywood', I thought to myself, "wowwww....Amy Winehouse is doing THESE sorta videos now.....someone's light bill ain't been paid for a long'un...", cos they really do look like twins. Both are kinda ghetto in there own way...one spends more time in court than on the stage and is on whatever her 'friends' give her to inhale/inject whilst the other is....erm...just another hoodchick. The similarities end there though....one has talent....the other will be the first to tell you she knows a girl who's ex-boyfriend's cousin's barber is seeing a girl called Talent'ia.

Anyways, back to the matter at hand [familiar lyric...?], in the 'Hollywood' video, Shimmer seems to really enjoy saying the word 'business'. She's trying to do that thing where a rapper discovers a really cool word/phrase/a 'unique' way of saying words and they repeat them constantly. I can't really think of how to explain it but put it this way - how many times did Joe Budden repeat the final word of his sentences in 'Pump It Up'......nope- I dunno either! But, it was effective wasn't it? [insert answer here = _ _ _] However, the only effect Shimmer causes is the mind to ponder on how someone can sound so wasted and wiggidy-whack in such few bars??? And all the crawling'n'slithering she does in the video is creepy. So are her close up shots....too much eyeball - not eneough iris. However, I'm always quoting her remarkable twist on the word 'business' [BEEEZNAAAAAAZ]. My friends do it too [sometimes.....well...once one of 'em - okay it's just me dammit!!!].

The video itself hides the itty-bitty budget they had for the video in the usual way.....black backdrop/low lighting so the viewer cannot tell who's living room it was filmed in....a few girls/guys from the endz making a priceless [as in FREE] cameo for their fifteen minutes o' fame. As they [I] say, "...Channel AKA keep the insurance adverts away...".

Note: Shimmer rips the mic at 1.50secs....

No comments: