Friday 12 March 2010

VIDEO PREMIERE: Lady Gaga ft. Beyonce 'Telephone'

FINALLYYYY!!!They really did have us hanging on the telephone with this one. How long has everyone been waiting to see this video??...Well considering we were told they would be doing two videos together about SIX months ago...I'd say...AGES!!!

I don't like moaning all the time but I have to say the video is not as good as I thought it would be. I DO like the video but I think they over-hyped it up to be her best video to date and I think the 'Paparazzi' video was better. I've watched it once and made my decision. Irrational, you say? I think not. I think you may agree with the points I shall make [even though my eyes are rolling back cos I'm THAT tired]...

PROS

  • The visuals, editing and cinematography.

  • The kitsch, Thelma & Louise/Prison Break theme. It's an all round fun video!

  • Gaga's sandwich making scene had cute sound FX.
  • Crazy ass LaurieAnn Gibson's choreography
  • Gaga's ex boyfriend, Matthew Williams did a nice job also as he was the Art Director

  • Lady Gaga's catwalk/prison walk opening scene and the outfit.
  • Gaga's cigarette shades + Beer can rollers + the blue telephone headress + the yellow telephone weave = The HOTNESS
  • The fact that they put Beyonce in a bee keeper's outfit to emphasise the Honey Bey character...sweet.
  • Gaga's victory Gene Kelly-esque two-step when she is let out...too funny
  • Beyonce's bedroom outfit....the jacket and the shoes were the right side of bedazzled [please see any Ed Hardy product for a good example of the bad side].
  • Beyonce's American flag nails are HOT! The Americana scene was my favourite
  • The MARIAH CAREY lookin' Chola at 2.38mins - fierce...I think I saw SNOOKI in the background too LOL
  • The prison fight was choreographed well

  • Lady Gaga GOT BEYONCE BACK for the 'VideoPhone' debaucle. This video was a MILLION times more entertaining in content although Beyonce is a million times FIERCER in 'VideoPhone'

CONS

  • The prison scene was a lil too long.
  • The script between Bey and Gaga - crrringe. Oh and Bey's wooden acting....she is literally stiff when she is speaking!?!? What's up with that...you and Gaga are supposed to be homies fo' life in this video

  • The use of Tyrese = unnecessary. His scene teamed with Beyonce's outift was the BIGGEST rip off of the 'Paparazzi' video lol...couldn't the director think of anything else besides killing everyone!?!?

  • Beyonce's lack of dramatic makeup when she picks Gaga up. I know it was an emergency call out but damn Bey!! Where was the 'Single Ladies' make up artist at?? You coulda done with a lil more eyeliner or sumthin...Gaga managed to look FIERCE...and she's been in tha PEN!
  • It looks like Bey is READING HER SCRIPT at 5.15mins...LOOOL oh my gosh this is so whack....no one drives looking at their lap???!?!?!?


WORST PARTS

  • Virgin Mobile.....are you serious??
  • The lack of chemistry :( that upset me cos I like them together but the only time they were cute together was when they ate the sandwich and killed tyrese....everytime they picked up that POOR script, I couldn't help but cringe at how awkward it sounded.

  • The fierceness was not really there when they were together. Certain scenes would have been better without Bey. Gaga is ususally a quiet ball of FIERCE but in the getaway car she seemed muted. Or tired from the walk to the car.
  • I think Bey's attempt at being badass came across REALLY wooden..

  • Gaga's speaking parts - it was almost like she was on general anaesthetic. I think the problem was that when she spoke her tough jailbird character was contradicted by the softly spoken Stefani. Hearing her voice also reminded me of how distant and awkward she is in interviews.

TO END...


The director, Jonas Akerlund, should have remembered that it's quality...not quantity. Too many things happening along with the editing made this video look over done. The editing should have been enough to create the crazy frustrated emotion of the 'why-a-bug-a-boo-sweating-a-diva' anthem. Akerlund did an amazing job capturing the art and fashion of crazy-diva-ness in 'Paparazzi' with the comic theme, lavish locations, neat choreography amongst all the fabulous flapping fabrics surrounding a femme fatale the audience is rooting for.

In 'Telephone' Beyonce tries desperately to take on the same role and instead of looking like she stood up for herself, it looks kinda mean. We only see Tyrese for a hot minute and nit seems as if Akerlund tries to squeeze in traits of a bad boyfriend within those few seconds. It is not enough for me to want him to be killed so when he is poisoned [TWICE] I thought to myself 'a fierce backhanded pimp slap would have done the trick'. In addition, Gaga standing menacingly over the two of them like some ghost waitress, looks really creepy...like she forced Beyonce to turn evil.


The cafe extras were very lucky they were killed before having to witness Beyonce in the dance finale. Bey should have sat that one out but I guess that was Gaga getting her back for being upstaged in 'VideoPhone'. Touche, Gaga. Touche.

WAIT A SEC!! I just watched it again, the version I saw yesterday was really tiny....I missed something....Beyonce is literally in the middle of the screen at the end???? Gaga should have been where Bey was beacuse a dancer that is in front of Gaga keeps covering her during the dance scene!!! BAD CALL AKERLUND!!! This is Gaga's video....and you allowed Bey to be centred in the finale....


[ARGHH my screen just froze then shut down - essay time over...it's time for bed....I'm going to stop because you are probably sick of my nonsense....but I think I did type some sensible nonsense... I gotta read over what I wrote when I'm more awake lol].

GO WATCH THE VIDEO AND COMMENT IF U WANNA!!



Ok, now seriously, I want Beyonce's jacket...oh I want it soooo bad :(

www.twitter.com/hoodandproper

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

your exactly right, but still not sure about it musically... the lyrics are a bit weak


Julian

Super Noodle Rach said...

AHAHAHHA kara, never fails!!! i linked you in my blog :-p!

Unknown said...

haha, gal, u broke it dowwwwwwn!!! LMAO at '..Gaga managed to look FIERCE...and she's been in tha PEN!'

readin dis was 2 much jokes, ur funny! lol


i really like ur blog 4 sure:) check out mine when u can (i hav 3 doe! lol)

http://mybluesuedeshoes.blogspot.com/

Kara Sudoku-Mishap/Hood and Proper said...

@Julian
it's a fun song-you got all technical...but then again, so did I!

@Rachie-Pie
Thanks matey for the love!!!

@Miss Carmel
Lol, thanks! I like to entertain as you can see! I'll check your blogs right now ;)